Shenny HQ
Wishful Thinking... - Printable Version

+- Shenny HQ (https://shennyhq.co.uk/dir)
+-- Forum: The Big Bang Theory (https://shennyhq.co.uk/dir/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Mint in Box (https://shennyhq.co.uk/dir/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Wishful Thinking... (/showthread.php?tid=42)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: Wishful Thinking... - Louise - 10-02-2014

You make some really excellent points.

Personally, I feel character development in a sitcom should be very subtle and small-scale. Like you said, the duty of a comedy is to be funny, and nothing else should be prioritized over that.

It's possible that the original characters and their neuroses would've become tiresome after 8 seasons...but IMO that's why a sitcom shouldn't last for 8 seasons in the first place. Three or four is just about perfect. This entire concept of "jumping the shark" would go away if people knew to quit while they're ahead.

IMO character development doesn't have to involve big, dramatic events. It can be very simple. The example you gave is a good one.

I don't believe the canon ships could be salvaged at this point. I'm pretty hardcore; I'm against the addition of Amy and Bernadette, period, and I don't think they've ever been real characters, just plot devices and Mary Sues. I didn't/wouldn't want any weddings or permanent pairings on this show, even if it was well-done instead of poorly done. For me, this show ends with S2-ish.

But, I *do* like to imagine real character development for the characters, the kind that would be freeing instead of limiting.

One thing's certain, TPTB have bitten off way, way more than they can chew, and squeezing a rather grim soap opera into the 22-minute sitcom format has produced some really weird and leaden results...

RE: Wishful Thinking... - FlyingMonkey - 10-03-2014

(10-02-2014, 09:53 PM)BoxyP Wrote: I agree in this instance completely, Louise. While there has to be some sort of character progression to every well-crafted story - the character needs to start at a point A and logically, organically progress to point B, otherwise there's a stagnation that can very quickly lead to boredom and the character being completely two-dimensional, the evolution of this character CANNOT be into its complete opposite, but rather a version of itself that, whilst still holding what is essential to the character (Sheldon, for instance, whose scientific worldview has in the early seasons led to him being relatively tactless when he's only stating the obvious and his general bafflement of being driven by a need to have sex, which the other guys exhibit) has the sharpest of edges sanded away while still remaining true to itself (in Sheldon's case, that would have, for me, meant that he gains some awareness of how his statements should be phrased so that they don't make people angry, even if it's only after the fact in the sense of 'oh, I suppose that could have been misconstrued, Penny warned me about that'). I can accept stagnation of characters in sitcoms mainly because the whole point of them is to make the audience laugh, and it's hard to accomplish this if all of the things that are funny come from these sharp edges. Of course, then I stumble upon a well-written sitcom like Community (I'm watching season 1 and thoroughly enjoying it), which proves that, in this case, you can eat the cake and have it too.

And retconning is right (which is sort of amusing to me, as my idea for a perfect show actually was retconning the later seasons in-show by the characters themselves). Putting aside the condescension towards hard sciences (and, FYI, biology isn't a soft science, like Sheldon claims, thank you very much; soft science are economics and sociology, which are based on something so changeable as human behavior, while biology deals with a world that uses the building blocks of physics and chemistry and is thus 2+2 always equals 4 kind of science) that I think can be ignored in the earlier years, the show, I have a feeling, started out primarily as a clash between the sciency, geeky way of living and the more mainstream, street smart approach to life. Then the masses came, because Sheldon and Penny chemistry is irresistible, and there began the pandering to the masses that's led to the devolution of the show into ridiculous romcom cliches. Predicting the path the show has taken in recent years back in the beginning would have been really hard without the knowledge of who ended up being the viewers. Of course the masses won't argue that the original was better, because had the show stayed on course, they'd have left long ago (the same way that happened with Fringe), and of course everyone involved with its production won't say that it went to crap because that'd be admitting their own faulty approach to their creations (which, for me as a writer, is the ultimate betrayal of oneself and one's creation). Plus, there's also that disappointment that follows the realization of 'the show got ruined'. I've experienced this with more than one show out there (Bones is a prime example, used to be a gritty show with a very strong human element and gradually became which dead body is the goriest and how two-dimensional the characters can become), and it's left me wondering if spending so much time getting into a show that just constantly grew worse and worse was even worth it. So, it's much easier to accept change as the intended course of action by TPTB than to say 'I've wasted my time on something that's ultimately just low quality'.

As for TBBT growth??? Who the heck ever said that spouse, boring but relatively well-paying job, two point five kids and white picket fence is considered the be-all and end-all of life? For me, the guys were already grown up when the show started, because right from the start, they were self-sufficient, lived on their own (well, except for Howard, but even he earned his own money), generally weren't a burden on either other individuals such as their families or society, and even contributed to the betterment of the world with the various scientific advancements they'd accomplished in their professional careers. Which means that my question for the later seasons is: Who cares what they do in their free time?! If they want to play Halo and Klingon boggle, read comic books and discuss science fiction until they're old and grey, then that's their prerogative! Even Penny, who's sort of the most knowledgeable on what's the norm, would have been horrified by this. She moved to California so that she could be an actress, hello. If she'd wanted to marry and have kids, she would have stayed in Omaha, not followed her dreams to fight her way in one of the hardest professional environments out there. Normal shouldn't mean giving up one one's dream (acting, Nobel prize) and settling down into the average; normal should be striving for the best, no matter how hard it takes. Too bad that insults the lazy and the uninspired, who would be the ones happy with a show that deals with questions like who slept with whom and what arguments they had about it.

My wish, for the show, would be that SOMEONE finally gets the message through to TPTB that they've completely gotten off track and that well-written shows are the ones that become classics (Firefly, anyone), and that the mass-pandering ones become 'just another old sitcom'. Then they'd gradually phase Bernadette's manic controlling tendencies out, would make everyone realize how terrifyingly creepy Amy is, and how false to themselves the characters have become, all five of the core group. That'd actually get them the true character growth - characters figuring out that trying so hard to be something you're fundamentally not just leads to unhappy, tired people who strive for external validation instead of internal satisfaction.

Edit: oh, just saw how long the post got, sorry about that, I tend to go on and on when I start writing (on the bright side, I'm completely happy with being outside the norm, even if people stop reading what I've written. Take that, Leonard, you self-deprecating, self-doubting, self-pitying whiny excuse for a scientist Tongue).

I think we give TPTB to much credit. Their main objective has always been, and always will be, to make as much money as possible and that means "pandering to the masses". Creativity and originality will always lose out in the end. They may want the show to be a classic but they'll gladly settle for a routine romcom if that attracts more viewers. If they wanted it to be a classic in the creative sense they would have ended it after season 3. But there was lots of money to be made. It loses more and more of it's classic status as the seasons drag on.

I wish they would return to the original premise of the show but it's not going to happen. The masses want relationship humor, not originality.

RE: Wishful Thinking... - BoxyP - 10-03-2014

(10-02-2014, 11:04 PM)Louise Wrote: It's possible that the original characters and their neuroses would've become tiresome after 8 seasons...but IMO that's why a sitcom shouldn't last for 8 seasons in the first place. Three or four is just about perfect. This entire concept of "jumping the shark" would go away if people knew to quit while they're ahead.

You've hit the nail on the head with that one. Sitcoms are in most danger of getting repetitive over time, and around four seasons for a sitcom seems to me an appropriate length as well. While I'm the type who wants to prolong the experience, mostly because I get attached to characters of books, tv shows and so on, I've found that at one point the writers themselves just don't seem to have any good ideas left. Dexter, True Blood, X Files, House, Supernatural, Two and a Half Men, Charmed, even The Big Bang Theory falls straight into this category - dozens of shows that were good while their writers had a clear idea what they wanted to portray and had a definite stopping point. After that, money and ratings began dictating the courses of shows and the creators didn't have the guts to say: "This story is told and done; adding anything more to it would just be milking a barren cow." That's how viewers end up disappointed in the end. My opinion is, if you can produce consistently high quality product that doesn't get stagnant and bogged down by recycling old ideas, then the longer the better, but have the guts to say 'this has gone on long enough, let's put it out of its misery, or, better yet, let's stop while we're ahead'.

(10-02-2014, 11:04 PM)Louise Wrote: I don't believe the canon ships could be salvaged at this point. I'm pretty hardcore; I'm against the addition of Amy and Bernadette, period, and I don't think they've ever been real characters, just plot devices and Mary Sues. I didn't/wouldn't want any weddings or permanent pairings on this show, even if it was well-done instead of poorly done. For me, this show ends with S2-ish.

I think I have a soft spot for Bernadette of the very beginning, hence me giving her some leeway when it comes to canon ships, although perhaps that's because I have no great love for Howard (Leonard will forever be my most hated of the guys, I can't stand his whiny voice (Aaaaaaah, Shel-dooon) - it's sort of permanently stuck in my brain now, so that I keep expecting it when I'm watching JG interviews, which I'm a little sad about, since the man seems like a decent actor and person - but Howard never left much of an impression on me, so he's sort of neutral in my mind). I thought Amy was creepy as f*ck right from the very first episode, even before this whole 'relationship' horror began. The flat voice and the inappropriate obsession with Penny, the smoking monkey experimentation and the insatiable need to fulfill her high school fantasies, to speak nothing of her relationship with Sheldon - why is it so hard for people to comprehend that there are some out there who simply see no use or enjoyment in sex, but rather believe that these individuals are only repressing their latent primitive urges? I never could understand why anyone liked her as anything more than an occasional acquaintance a la Leslie Winkle or Dr. Stephanie or Kirpke. I'm all for removing both of the girls, or at least reducing them to recurring guest stars, because the show used to be 'four science guys and a girl next door' and now it's become 'the new friends', which I hate, especially because, as you've said, they are Mary Sues (Bernadette's voice - my ears are weeping every. damn. episode). And, as you've said, this just isn't the type of show that needs any permanent romantic entanglements, because they only detract from the whole point, which was, for me, the complex science, guys being proud of their hobbies, Sheldon's quirks and Sheldon-Penny interactions.

(10-02-2014, 11:04 PM)Louise Wrote: One thing's certain, TPTB have bitten off way, way more than they can chew, and squeezing a rather grim soap opera into the 22-minute sitcom format has produced some really weird and leaden results...

You've said it. The first time I noticed this was the whole Arctic incident; I wanted to beat the hell out of those three. Maybe it's because I'm a molecular biologist who knows the value of the integrity of scientific research, maybe it's because I make an enormous difference between casual acquaintances (or treasured, as Sheldon would say) and true friends, but I was quite pissed at both their actions and the casual disregard the show displayed for what they did, as scientists and as supposed friends of the man whose reputation got destroyed (Leonard found it more important to get into Penny's pants than to find a way of fixing his supposed best friend's ruined reputation and shaken self-esteem???), and Sheldon's ease of getting over it. I know it's a sitcom, but that can't be an excuse for something this big. I would never, ever have spoken again to a colleague who tampered with my research, let alone be friends with them or let them off the hook with the authorities. After that, the show sort of lost its shine, because I couldn't quite take them all seriously, but I still hold that S3 and S4 are fun. S5 onwards was so bad I stopped watching by the beginning of S6, and now just watch one of the later episodes when I find that its content sounds interesting. Weird and leaden is right.

(10-03-2014, 01:32 AM)FlyingMonkey Wrote: I think we give TPTB to much credit. Their main objective has always been, and always will be, to make as much money as possible and that means "pandering to the masses". Creativity and originality will always lose out in the end. They may want the show to be a classic but they'll gladly settle for a routine romcom if that attracts more viewers. If they wanted it to be a classic in the creative sense they would have ended it after season 3. But there was lots of money to be made. It loses more and more of it's classic status as the seasons drag on.

As a writer, it boggles the mind that people are willing to sacrifice their creations for money. I don't know, maybe I'm an idealist, but I've always said to my friends and family, if I manage to get published widely enough to make some serious money off of it (which isn't happening any time soon, since I come from Bosnia and am too busy doing my Master's degree in Germany right now, but some day, some day...Tongue), the first time I realize I'm dumbing down and gutting my characters just to make more money, I'm giving up the profession. The thought of making my characters what they weren't in the beginning because people don't like them just hurts me to my bones. But, I guess when you create so many different characters for so many different show, and you share these characters with so many different writers (since I can't ever see one person penning a 22-ep show year after year), they stop being sacrosanct and become just another sacrifice to the altar of profit and ratings. Sigh... it's sad, really, so sad Sad

RE: Wishful Thinking... - ricardo shillyshally - 10-03-2014

I think they could have developed the characters, and let's face it that's what makes this show! Sheldon; in so many different ways, he's a writer's dream. I'd like to see more of the slightly crazy Sheldon, the obsessional, the battling with Penny, all of it. OCD(which Jim says he has), gets worse and can overtake peoples lives, after being robbed/burgled/attacked by dog/getting ill, or cured through CBT. I think they use A like you say 'to smooth off the edges', boring! Louise has suggested how Howard could develop, maybe he uses B to escape his mother, and becomes a gigolo! Raj, anything but the quagmire of his life. One of my Indian friends adopted an exotic Raj/Bollywood star persona. Like I think we know the cliched relationships are sucking the life out of the characters. Leonard, shoot him!

Sheldon's a writer's dream; unfortunately, these sorts of characters are often very hard to do properly. I use them in my texts primarily when I want to challenge myself, and they are one and all my favorites, but I do find that I get very tired after writing them, as it takes me so long to get them just right. I'd say that the first order of business when doing anything as complex as Sheldon Cooper is to pin down his idiosyncrasies and little quirks, and then constantly reference back to that established list. Bazinga is fun and the three knocks, as well (both added later on, note), but for instance, what's with the accent? It used to be that he would fall back into twanging only when he was upset, now he does it all the time. That's just not paying attention the what the character was envisioned as, since, in this particular case, I always thought that the fact he spoke without an accent represented his need to distance himself from his origins and to showcase his own level of intellect.

OCD is a serious mental illness that needs to be dealt with in a precise and knowledgeable manner, not just throwing in repetitive behavior willy-nilly. Smoothing off the edges of Sheldon in this regard would have, for me, required dealing with the reason for the OCD, rather than just the symptoms. What Amy's doing is harassment, in my opinion. Sheldon's not someone's lab experiment, and no good will ever come of forcing him to change without overcoming the core of the problem. And, yes, I agree that it's quite boring, this 'growing up' storyline, when most of their laughs are derived from the behavior in the first place.

The same goes for Raj's selective mutism. If they really wanted that dealt with properly, they should have found him someone who understood it as a mental illness and worked with him to gradually overcome it. Admittedly, I haven't watched that part, but I read that it was along the lines of 'girl broke up with him, poof, he can talk to women now'. As for his life, aside from the two storylines of him losing his visa and his parents pressuring him to get married to an Indian girl, I don't even know that anything ever happens to him, which is sad, because he could be a great character, and the actor has the chops for it. Howard, I feel, now needs a backbone, to stand up to his mother as well as Bernadette. Him as a gigolo sounds right up his alley, and quite fun to see, too Smile

RE: Wishful Thinking... - ricardo shillyshally - 10-03-2014

Sheldon and his 'defence mechanisms' have been an obsession of mine. Read books; most recently about how the interaction with your parents, creates the neural networks that determine future social interaction. What the OCD getting worse would mean is that he would try to gain even greater control over his environment. I now see Penny as the catalyst, she explodes on their lives, and injects glamour, rebellion against Sheldon's tyranny. His controlling nature would be ever new battle grounds with Penny. I think Sheldon is too complex to 'pin down'. Like you say the core issues; anxiety, will shift from situation to situation. But what we have here is a traditional sitcom(format back to 'I Love Lucy'(no idea, just read it). In a country where family values, are used to make people feel secure, and to promote certain values. Writers are idealistic, but they are only part of a massive system!

I agree with OCD getting worse the more his world is unbalanced, but I still think that there has to be some kind of core thread through all of his defense mechanisms that remains the same. His germophobia, the twitch when he's lying, his spot, his knocking, the cleaning. I haven't really read up on it so I can't claim to know much about real life OCD and defense mechanisms, but even if there is quite a lot of room when it comes to just how often these defense mechanisms can change IRL, these do need to be sort of rounded up for an invented character, because otherwise he/she becomes too confusing and unrecognizable for the reader/viewer. You can't have a character that is a germophobic neat freak in most episodes, but when it suits, this character doesn't know how to properly clean laboratory equipment (specifically speaking about that one episode when Sheldon helps Amy out in the lab; I just can't believe that someone who cleans up the pitcher he uses for checking his own pee and poop enough that he is comfortable keeping it in the kitchen with the dishes he uses for eating, as is seen in the Pancake Batter Anomaly, that this person doesn't know how to properly clean petri dishes and eprouvettes, so that Amy has to tell him she'll wash everything again because he's too stupid to do it himself).

Induced situations are a story unto themselves, because they feature Sheldon pushed outside the perimeter of his comfort zone (and yes, Penny's usually the one responsible for it, although the difference between her and Amy is that she doesn't do it to change him, but rather because she simply refuses to abide by his rules and thinks that he'll be better off loosening them), but everything else needs to be consistent, which I'm finding has stopped being the case until all his ticks are now just footnotes for writers to use when they think it might fit - it's become the case where the story drives the characters, rather than the other way around (as should be the case). That's why I don't think that the writers are idealistic, just uncaring, because they not only use characters as it suits them, but they do it to promote an idea that's either deliberately debilitating or just really not thought out properly, this being the idea that average is the best, and that individuality and intellect should be stamped out and destroyed in pursuit of the average.

As you said, TBBT is now a traditional sitcom. The sad thing is that they didn't start out that way; if they had, I never would have watched the show in the first place, I have very little interest in American sitcoms in general. What they did was have a good idea for something a little out there, and they moved towards the traditional because the casual viewership numbers rose.

RE: Wishful Thinking... - Louise - 10-03-2014

It could've been funny if there had been an early-seasons ep. where Howard is shown dating a much-older yet still attractive woman, someone like Sharon Stone or Christie Brinkley. That would 've been cute. But nowadays, they've gone too far with the "mommy issues" jokes, IMO.

I still think my most wished-for eps would've been a TBBT version of the "backwards India trip" from Seinfeld, or something with a supernatural/paranormal/UFO theme...

(10-03-2014, 10:14 AM)Louise Wrote: I still think my most wished-for eps would've been a TBBT version of the "backwards India trip" from Seinfeld, or something with a supernatural/paranormal/UFO theme...
Ooooh, I second that one, episodes outside the norm tend to be by far the most interesting ones.

RE: Wishful Thinking... - Louise - 10-03-2014

Quote:I have very little interest in American sitcoms in general.

I'm not a sitcom person, either. What drew me to TBBT was the vividness of the characters.

I like Seinfeld, Frasier, The Office (US), and TBBT, in that order. Frasier is probably the one that makes me LOL the most consistently. And in all cases, I prefer the
early-to-mid seasons of these shows, though none of them changed as dramatically as TBBT.

It would never occur to me to check out the new sitcoms on the fall TV schedule. I like cooking shows and other nonfiction things, or the crime/detective/suspense genre.

Like I said in another post, I truly believe that the traditional sitcom is a concept that needs to die, so as to open up the playing field for a greater variety of formats and ideas. I think we might be watching its death throes right now, with TBBT.

I don't know why I love Howard so much. I just do. I've always had a soft spot for short guys Heart I think he's the most cuddly and adorable when he's being a sneering, naughty, smart-mouthed little sh*t, not when he's being "nice." Big Grin