Shenny HQ
Wishful Thinking... - Printable Version

+- Shenny HQ (https://shennyhq.co.uk/dir)
+-- Forum: The Big Bang Theory (https://shennyhq.co.uk/dir/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Mint in Box (https://shennyhq.co.uk/dir/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Wishful Thinking... (/showthread.php?tid=42)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: Wishful Thinking... - Louise - 08-18-2014

Quote: I agree. The age of the characters has created a problem, they shouldn't have made them so much older than Penny. Particularly Sheldon, who is now pushing 40 but acts like a preschooler in these later seasons. He was a prodigy (edit) and they could have written him a lot younger than Parsons, he has the face to get away with it.

Sitcoms lasting for 8, 10, or 12 years is the root of all evil. It is the crux of all problems. I really believe that. That's where the whole concept of "jumping the shark" comes from.

The natural lifespan of a TV series is about three or four seasons, and that's how it works in a lot of places, like Asia and the UK.

This might sound extreme, but I devoutly wish this show had ended after Season 2. The only things I'd really miss are "The Gothowitz Deviation" and maybe "The Jiminy Conjecture."

RE: Wishful Thinking... - lewstonewar - 08-18-2014

(08-17-2014, 07:52 PM)Louise Wrote: Thank you so much for your reply! TBH, I was very nervous about joining these forums, but now I'm glad that I finally did!

***deep breath, here goes***

Personally, I believe that a TV series, unlike a novel or a movie, is not a linear thing and does NOT need a definite "beginning, middle, and end." I'm not saying that a series should end on a total cliffhanger, but I don't need all the I's dotted and all the T's crossed. I'm totally okay with some things being left open-ended.

I'm also a big fan of things that are essentially plotless, things that are more just "a day in the life." What I like (or liked) about TBBT was being a fly on the wall in this nerdy world.

I am a major Seinfeld fan, and we've all heard the saying that Seinfeld was "about nothing", but it was about nothing in a way that I find tremendously engrossing. I would watch whole seasons of the BBT guys playing board-games, having discussions, going to the comic book store, just going about their usual routine. I really would.

To me, the appeal of a sitcom is that feeling of timelessness, that cyclical feeling, the ability to watch the episodes in any order without missing anything, the feeling that the characters are old friends, just waiting for you to come and visit them again.
I could get behind that. I don't like to read comic books. I find the medium unsatisfying but I can read endlessly about comic books or listen to people discuss comic books.

RE: Wishful Thinking... - Louise - 08-18-2014

"I could get behind that. I don't like to read comic books. I find the medium unsatisfying but I can read endlessly about comic books or listen to people discuss comic books."

You know, I have to confess that I know nothing about comic books, but where I currently live (outside the US), there is some pretty cool and unique Marvel merchandise that makes me want to buy it. Stuff that probably isn't available elsewhere. But I'd feel like a poser, 'cause I'm only familiar with the movies...

RE: Wishful Thinking... - Louise - 08-20-2014

I wish there would've been an episode where the guys all go to India to visit Raj's parents. That would've been hilarious. I'm picturing it being similar to that Seinfeld "backwards" episode where they went to India...

Also I want to see them ride in a hot air balloon. No reason XD

Fun fact, the guy who plays Raj's dad also played Babu on Seinfeld...

RE: Wishful Thinking... - Idle Miscreant - 08-20-2014

I bloody love Brian George. Babu was such a brilliant, vaguely malevolent character.

James Hong was also in Seinfeld at one point, and of course in Bladerunner..."I just do eyes!"

[Image: Cyberpunk27_zps79a3bdb6.jpg]

[Image: 328px-TF26.jpg]

I wish Ramona had been a recurring character. Sometimes I forget that she isn't. She was funny.

Not a *main* character, just someone who pops up maybe four times per season. Something tells me she's still out there, causing trouble, somewhere, somehow XD

She could be Penny's rival/antagonist in a way that mirrors the Sheldon-Kripke rivalry.

(And the Sheldon-Kripke rivalry reminds me of the Jerry-Newman rivalry, sometimes...)

"
(08-20-2014, 12:57 PM)Idle Miscreant Wrote: I bloody love Brian George. Babu was such a brilliant, vaguely malevolent character.

James Hong was also in Seinfeld at one point, and of course in Bladerunner..."I just do eyes!"

[Image: Cyberpunk27_zps79a3bdb6.jpg]

[Image: 328px-TF26.jpg]

"Cartwright!!!" XD

What if Sheldon's wormhole/portal/thingie in that one episode turned out to be real? I'm all for it.

Also, Sheldon should have a pet turtle named Shelldon XD

RE: Wishful Thinking... - Tuesday Pajamas - 08-20-2014

SHELL-don? Love this idea.

(08-20-2014, 06:37 PM)Tuesday Pajamas Wrote: SHELL-don? Love this idea.

Haha, yes.