Shenny HQ
The rest of Season Grate (Eps 8.07-8.15 and 8.17) - Printable Version

+- Shenny HQ (https://shennyhq.co.uk/dir)
+-- Forum: The Big Bang Theory (https://shennyhq.co.uk/dir/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Anything can happen Thursday (Season 8-12) (https://shennyhq.co.uk/dir/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: Season 8 (https://shennyhq.co.uk/dir/forumdisplay.php?fid=30)
+---- Thread: The rest of Season Grate (Eps 8.07-8.15 and 8.17) (/showthread.php?tid=251)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: The rest of Season Grate - Tuesday Pajamas - 12-08-2014

Yes please, if I ever write a ff again I might use one of those but I won't remember it's in this thread.

RE: The rest of Season Grate - Louise - 12-12-2014

[Image: 2udyipj.jpg]

[Image: j76xlk.jpg]

(and yes, they've killed him. Bastards!)

RE: The rest of Season Grate - Idle Miscreant - 12-12-2014

My computer appears to be having a fight with this forum's software at the moment, so I can't usefully join you fellows in the grumblebox, but I presume yet another chunk of artificially Awwww-flavoured pablum has emerged from the maw of CBS?

I saw a screencap of Sheldumb perched like a berk on Santa's knee. Really? The man who doesn't celebrate the ancient pagan festival of Saturnalia? If TPTB have decided to just ignore the early seasons they could at least keep track of their own episodes...Didn't Sheldon loathe Santa in Season 6?

I never liked Sheldon's "pure Disney magic" line in Spaghetti Catalyst. It was a little too obvious as jokes go, and very OOC. But it was one short scene in one episode out of three seasons, and thus the joke stood out as a joke. Now he's in a permanent state of either needing his diaper changed or breathing out lines from frustrated housewives' fanfiction...
It's certainly not funny.

Who IS this gormless clown and what have they done with Homo Novus?

He's gone from being one of the great minds of his generation to someone who should have 24 hour care and a swinging tire in their quarters.
Ruprecht essentially.

[Image: ruprecht.jpg]

I feel like a great Kumbaya filter descended on this show after Season 5, and I don't know why. Previously they managed to have genuinely touching, unforced moments - when Howard and Raj make their peace over Howard's "distraction", when Sheldon tries (and fails) to comfort Leonard, when Sheldon caves and sings Soft Kitty to Penny, the Spock napkin (and numerous other S/P moments), when he gives Howard his spot on the couch etc.

This is FALSE sirs! FALSE! And they should know better.

Dreadfully disappointed.

[Image: tumblr_kpnx35SU6A1qzmsloo1_500.jpg]

The S/P christmas episode worked, and was saved from being mawkish, because it was weird. A napkin that Leonard Nimoy has wiped his mouth on presented as a gift, and the terrifying shriek of Sheldon realising he can clone his own Leonard Nimoy as a consequence (healthy ovum permitted), followed by the pincering steps, and fervent yet still alien hug, was all charming yet very odd. It’s why it’s remained in the public consciousness.

Giving Sheldon Meemaw cookies…that’s just…nothing. No zinger, nothing unusual (in fact it’s been used numerous times in fanfiction). It’s just straight up schmoop. And there’s nothing Sheldony about his gift to Amy either. It was a very common christmas gift. Which he was giving just to be an arsehole, as I understand it…

Sheldon sits there in an unSheldonlike, normal posture, in his normal suit, with a normal smile, and gives a normal gift, and we're supposed to celebrate this? That Sheldon is just like everybody else now? (Except ruder)

As for Amy, they seem to want to simultaneously have her be a cartoon (can’t open her legs more than 25 degrees? A divot in her spine? “Comical” amounts of pubic hair? Dandruff? Rice-Sheldon? Scenting? Gerard? Etc. She’s Maris!) AND have S and A act out all these humdrum, ordinary clichéd moments so the audience can live vicariously through them, as they (the audience) are now NOT strange at all.

And who is this audience? Women who identify with Amy, apparently. They’ve lost all those men and women who (previously) identified with Sheldon. I’ve seen nothing but disgust and disbelief from Sheldon fans. (and no, fancying Jim Parsons does not make you a Sheldon fan. Neither does only paying attention to Sheldon once he was hooked up with Amy, and not liking him before, and for himself. Or losing interest in a plot because there’s no “Shamy” in it. That makes you a Shamy fan or shipper, not a character fan. There is a bloody difference.)

I’ve never seen so much squeeing in my life as on those FB pages…Sheldon’s becoming normal! Just like us! Squeee!

You can stick your normal up your jean-clad jacksie.

By the way, was Penny in this episode at all? I think I saw a cardboard-cutout of her standing in the kitchen next to Leonard in one photograph…Did they move the cardboard around at all? Did it speak?

RE: The rest of Season Grate - Gamma - 12-12-2014

(12-12-2014, 12:14 PM)Idle Miscreant Wrote: By the way, was Penny in this episode at all? I think I saw a cardboard-cutout of her standing in the kitchen next to Leonard in one photograph…Did they move the cardboard around at all? Did it speak?

Most of Penny's scenes were with Raj's father and Amy. She made several sarcastic comments about Amy's "entertainment" while the three of them were waiting for the rest of the gang to show up. She was probably the least objectionable regular in the episode. That's what its come to, finding the least objectionable thing.

Yes the S/P episode was well written, well acted, well characterized and just fit. This episode was so cloying I could swear I was seeing a Shamy fanfiction being performed, and not a well written one. (Hum, wasn't the Victorian era known for its sentimentality)

I'm utterly certain there must be Shamy fans who liked the oddness of the 4th season S/A friendship who are LIVID at this pap.

If TPTB had gone with Shenny instead, and morphed their highly-charged interaction into this "heartwarming" sugary business, I'd be bloody furious...

RE: The rest of Season Grate - Louise - 12-12-2014

Quote: "When Leonard, Penny, Sheldon and Amy settle in for another round of board games, the ladies decide it’s high time that the boys do something they want to do: go shopping! And by shopping I mean sitting in those uncomfortable chairs, holding Amy and Penny’s purses."

Women like shopping! Nerds like board games! Women don't like anything men like! Games are childish and silly! But this show is more feminist now, because we crammed some more female-ish people into the frame! Puke

We never saw Leslie Winkle shopping. I guess she wasn't a real female; that's why we need A & B. I like board games AND shopping, but I'd *never* make someone come along with me if they didn't want to...

How is it that games, which at least involve some degree of knowledge and skill, are a sign of immaturity and foolishness, but getting drunk in Vegas and grabbing at male strippers is just harmless fun???

RE: The rest of Season Grate - devilbk - 12-12-2014

How the bloody hell do they keep this going for three more years? They are creatively bankrupt.

RE: The rest of Season Grate - Nutz - 12-13-2014

The Clean Room Crapola

So again we have three stories going. The A story an unbelievable piece of crap with Leonard, Howard and Raj. See a bird got into the clean room because Howard forgot to close the loading doors. Apparently it's a straight shot from the outside to the clean room.(If they're paying someone as a science advisor they should get their money back) Leonard acts all "I'm better than you" to Howard and Raj takes Leonard's side. Leonard brings up the Mars fiasco and other Howard screw ups. And we have another rewrite that Howard was friends with Leonard before Raj. They chase the bird, they kill the bird, Howard gives the bird CPR, the bird comes back to life in a Christmas miracle and as they're leaving a Raven flies in (o.k. It was a crow, but a Raven works better. My sweet Big Bang Never more) they are at the lab for hours while....

B story is Sheldon and Bernadette in a baffling skit that involves Bernadette picking up Sheldon to drive him to "the Party" (I guess Penny was to busy to walk across the hall and get him) Sheldon makes drunk and child molestation jokes about his uncle but it o.k. Since he was in Oklahoma and decides to get a talking framed picture of him sitting on Santas lap to "get" Amy back for making him celebrate Christmas. They are at a mall for hours while....

The C story involving Amy, Penny, and Raj's dad. This gem Sarcasm started with Penny drinking lots of alcohol, making sarcastic remarks about the lame games, and hitting on Raj's dad (so classy) and ended with quivering I wuv you Amy followed by her handing him a box of cookies that she said she made, but I say she took credit for. (come on, Meemaw makes Christmas cookies every year and doesn't send her Moonpie any?)

Not even Mordor can destroy this steaming bunch of Shamy fan fiction evil crap.

Questions
So Amy plans a big Christmas party and the boys decide to go to work instead and Bernadette decides it's o.k. To drive Sheldon to the mall and spend hours finding the perfect gift ON THE WAY TO THE PARTY. What????

So Amy can't open her legs more than 25 degrees?? What, Why, and gee she's going to be so much fun having sex with. Lucky lucky Sheldon (try and get THAT image out of your head)

Why does Sheldon have to wear $300 boring suits to prove he's growing up while Amy gets remain wearing clothes not not even a drunken blind granny would be caught dead in.

Who is buying these suits for him, cause it's not Amy (see above granny statement)

Have they fired the writers and are getting their scripts from Shamy fan fiction now?

RE: The rest of Season Grate - wellplayedpenny - 12-14-2014

Nutz, thanks for proving to me that I wasn't, well, nuts for hearing that child molestation 'joke'. My brain was totally, 'did he just say what I think he did?' As much as we talk here about the actors standing up for their characters I think this particular joke goes to show that at least JP is willing to do whatever TPTB tell him to do. I mean the guy who appeared on Sesame Street is now making molestation jokes? You're telling me he doesn't have enough clout to say, 'um, guys, I'm uncomfortable saying that'--particularly since we're a prime-time sitcom...and a CHRISTMAS episode for crap's sake! Talk about a new rendition of gathering around the yule log....

The Shamy's get the Meemaw cookies scene and again it feels 'fake' from a structural standpoint. Granted I'm not a theatre buff so please correct me if I'm wrong on this but what I didn't like about the scene was that the characters felt 'placed' like they are in the 'who done it?' revelation scene in a Poirot case. It's the same feeling I had in the Howard's dad's letter reveal. Too cardboard for television which is such a fluid medium. The illusion is shattered as they really are *just* actors on a stage and the way they all waited for Sheldon to give his Grinchless response was completely blah as everyone knew he would say something shmaltzy (and he didn't disappoint). The writers seem to be concerned about placing particular 'moments' "just so" and this has extended to how the scene plays out on tv. It's like they really do think they're doing a smashing job writing-wise and are writing in moments to stand back and take in their 'genius'.

The whole plot of Bernie and Sheldon going to the mall to get a punishment gift for Amy was completely and utterly crack-smoking. I mean even Bernie was looking at Sheldon with a 'wtf are you thinking?' This is from 'one of the greatest minds of his generation'? It makes him look dumb not naive and most definitely not 'cute' (as I'm sure the spin is that this is subconsciously what Sheldon wanted to do for Amy).

Yes there was the bird plot which was an attempt to capture an 'early days' feel as it was sorta 'sciencey' and had the three amigos in action but there was something not quite right about it. The humour between them was again meaner than it used to be as there had to be a butt of the joke and this time it was Howard. And it wasn't just a 'Mars rover' insert but they kept hammering Howard's screw ups again and again until it became unfunny. It was bullying plain and simple.

I've read that the ratings for this episode were low. It looks like TPTB's estimation of their audience is off. So then it comes to this: after reworking the show their peers don't reward it and the audience appeal is waning. They've killed the golden goose and got a big ol' nothing to show for it.