Shenny HQ
The rest of Season Grate (Eps 8.07-8.15 and 8.17) - Printable Version

+- Shenny HQ (https://shennyhq.co.uk/dir)
+-- Forum: The Big Bang Theory (https://shennyhq.co.uk/dir/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Anything can happen Thursday (Season 8-12) (https://shennyhq.co.uk/dir/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: Season 8 (https://shennyhq.co.uk/dir/forumdisplay.php?fid=30)
+---- Thread: The rest of Season Grate (Eps 8.07-8.15 and 8.17) (/showthread.php?tid=251)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: The rest of Season Grate - Idle Miscreant - 12-04-2014

"Engineering: where the noble, semi-skilled laborers execute the vision of those who think and dream. Hello, Oompa Loompas of science!"

[Image: tumblr_lz5avpmwe61rogt97o1_500.gif]

And some false advertising...
[Image: tumblr_nfrwx9tZ251qdxmh0o1_500.jpg]

Surely this would imply these two characters had scenes together, or something wild like that...

[Image: villains-willy-wonka3.jpg]

RE: The rest of Season Grate - Tuesday Pajamas - 12-04-2014

Holy crap on a illusionary cracker. I'm putting that screencap on tumblr - thanks. Blossom

And I love the Oompa Lumpas gif, this show has really become a parody of itself.Rolleyes

[Image: thejerusalemduality.png]

RE: The rest of Season Grate - Toad - 12-05-2014

Looking over the promo photos for The Clean Room Infiltration I asked myself how in the hell a show goes from this...

[Image: 2d0hxs2.jpg]

to this...

[Image: ifo7c5.jpg]

A more drear assemblage I can scarcely imagine. The weird, stiff, grey-suited formality makes ME uncomfortable. I literally want to ring my finger around my neck and loosen the collar that strangles.

It's a terrifyingly banal tableau of Martha Stewart trees and frilled-up dining tables and piss-colored punch amongst which the gang have been unceremoniously plunked. And looking none too happy or joyful about it either. Oh Sheldumb's grinning, I know, but the poor sod's a goner at this point. Everyone else has a tight little smile plastered on, as if they're quietly wondering when the next hit to their characters is coming. And Leonecki is just out and out glowering. "What the hell happened? I'm the headliner, dammit."

Yes, I realize that ultimately this is just one screencap of one scene of one episode of one season, but it effectively underscores everything that's gone terribly wrong with the show. Everyone (except Raj) in their couple bubble, somewhat warily arranged around a supporting character who seems to call all the shots now. A character who openly despises everything we loved about these guys. Really, Mr. Lorre? Mr. Prady? This is what you envisioned The Big Bang Theory becoming?

RE: The rest of Season Grate - Idle Miscreant - 12-05-2014

Good god! Dolores Umbridge really has taken over the show...And just like she did at Hogwarts she's sucked all the joy from Pasadena, imposing her own stifling, cloying set of values.
Some nice kitten plates would look delightful on that adult pastel blue wall...

[Image: dolores-umbridge.jpg]

Sheldon's hands are probably hidden because they're covered in scarred sentences:

"I must not say Bazinga."
"I must not watch my stupid space movies."
"I must not find coitus ridiculous and off-putting."
"I must not be Sheldon."
Etc.

What militant conformism this show seems to be espousing...I don't understand it either. Lorre's a cynical, witty, philosophically bent individual, he can't be sanctioning this claptrap...Wasn't he against Sheldon and romance? Didn't that make him "unique"? And the writers! How can they work with such dreariness? They can't be happy. Every second episode is a relationship plot. It must be exhausting.
The Big Banal Theory - Relinquish your Hulk-Hand grip on your own dreams, and conform dammit, CONFORM TO THE SANITISED, STANDARDISED AMERICAN DREAM.

What are you doing Lorre, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING!

[Image: catch-22-3%25255B3%25255D.jpg?imgmax=800]

Sheldon once pondered that third-graders would one day create macaroni-art dioramas depicting scenes from his life.

Not a chance in hell, mate! Not anymore.

Given the current OOC idiot toddler who spread maple syrup throughout a car, and who chases balloons, walks into doors (or gets caught in them) and needs little toys to bribe him, I'd say it's a fairly good bet he couldn't even MAKE a macaroni-art diorama, let alone be the focus of one.
He'd probably eat the macaroni. Or get stuck to it.

They've turned him from a beautiful mind into an idiot savant.
Or as someone put it in the grumblebox; all idiot, no savant.

EDIT - Transpose "Sheldon" and Leonard in that scene, and I'd still feel a god-almighty chill in my heart. In fact it'd be worse if Sheldon and Penny were together in this horrible Stepford universe...At least that romantic concept remains untainted.
The way romance is portrayed in this show there'll be a double wedding and twins by the end of the 10th season. And HQ will erupt in copious vomit, like Mr. Creosote exploding in The Meaning Of Life.

RE: The rest of Season Grate - Louise - 12-05-2014

At first glance, they look like they're at a post-funeral reception. (Their own funeral??)

And yes, I have compared TPTB to Dolores Umbrage, before.

What I find very telling is when you see a pic of the cast and you can't quite tell whether they're supposed to be in-character or not; because the clothes and the attitude have gotten so blah.

RE: The rest of Season Grate - Toad - 12-05-2014

[Image: 2rpd0ls.jpg]

"What? What's that, dear? You want us to blow on your wool balls?" *nervous laughter* "Okay, sure, for a million bucks I'll blow like nobody's business. Just, I mean, you promise if we do you won't start scent... But THAT'S okay too!! Heh, heh. We're puckering, see? Heh, heh"

RE: The rest of Season Grate - Louise - 12-05-2014

[Image: awz5u8.jpg]

[Image: 2ccnnmv.jpg]

[Image: 1e03sx.jpg]

RE: The rest of Season Grate - FlyingMonkey - 12-06-2014

(12-05-2014, 05:55 AM)Toad Wrote: [Image: ifo7c5.jpg]

Yes, I realize that ultimately this is just one screencap of one scene of one episode of one season, but it effectively underscores everything that's gone terribly wrong with the show. Everyone (except Raj) in their couple bubble, somewhat warily arranged around a supporting character who seems to call all the shots now. A character who openly despises everything we loved about these guys. Really, Mr. Lorre? Mr. Prady? This is what you envisioned The Big Bang Theory becoming?

Nailed it.

That scene is both depressing and horrifying. It's like the ending of The Stepford Wives, or being inside a Borg cube. Resistance has indeed proved futile. Everyone has been assimilated. The free-spirited geeks are now wearing "fancy-ass grownup clothes". All to appease what should have been a minor character. It's just sad.

RE: The rest of Season Grate - Idle Miscreant - 12-06-2014

Hey kids/miserable bastards!
In an upcoming episode of that show we're not watching but are still irritatingly annoyed merely by hearing about;

"When Leonard, Penny, Sheldon and Amy settle in for another round of board games, the ladies decide it’s high time that the boys do something they want to do: go shopping! And by shopping I mean sitting in those uncomfortable chairs, holding Amy and Penny’s purses."

Because girls don't like board games, do they. DO THEY.
And DOESN'T THIS SOUND EXCITING? WELL? SAY YES DAMN YOU!

It also seems like a vaguely familiar scenario...O yes...

[Image: The-Pants-Alternative-Episode-Stills-pen...00-400.jpg]
(incidentally Sheldon old bean, ALL your suits only have one colour in them now...)

Very odd though, this recreation of Sheldon & Penny scenes with Amy...

Sheldon goes shopping with Penny at an electronics store and can't decide between two almost identical items. Redone in 7.19
[Image: 37a655_b1c2495e8749443dae5db2d23697aebe....00_jpg_srz]

Sheldon goes shopping for a christmas present for Penny, and annoys the staff. Redone in 8.11
[Image: Bath_item_gift_hypothesis_2.jpg]

Sheldon looks after a "type of being sick" Penny. Redone in 6.10
[Image: tumblr_llyt4tPtEB1qaraif.gif]

Etc etc.

Good lord, he's even said "I love you too". He hasn't hugged Amy of his own volition or impulse yet, but I suppose that's next...along with playing bloody Conan the Barbarian, stringing Amy's undergarments up on a telephone wire, and being sick together...

[Image: big-bang-theory-season-3-15-the-large-ha...arsons.jpg]

If they're not remaking the scenes, they're omitting them entirely.
What is this sudden need to blot out the only male/female friendship on this show?
Is the S/A relationship that flimsy that everything else, including Sheldon's character, had to flattened and blasted in order for it to exist?
Can't the Sheldon/Penny scenes (that are arguably the most popular comedic pairing, judging by every damn episode poll) continue AS WELL? Is this not feasible? Raj and his miniscule tit of a dog have had more scenes together...

Friendships are important for fucksake! Even more so between two such disparate characters that can therefore learn so much from each other.

It's as though everything this show seemed to stand for - individualism, friendship, being proud of your passions etc - is being distorted these last few years. Yet it was once written so differently, by largely the same folk. Baffling!

I can only surmise that the relationships are distorting it, much like light being bent by the gravitational pull of a black hole.

I'm trying to cultivate Queen's reaction to all this (particularly as I'm not even watching the damn thing so therefore should be less irked), which is just to laugh, but it TASKS ME....
Morlock

Possibly I could have the segment of my brain that is unreasonably and irrationally aggravated and occupied with the vagaries of TBBT removed and replaced with something more pleasant. Like a small plaster gnome.
A very small gnome, obviously, because it's only a very small portion of my brain. More like an enraged boil.

For an enraged boil, it certainly types a lot on this damn forum...WHERE IS YOUR BOOK YOU TIME-WASTING BASTARD.

RE: The rest of Season Grate - Tuesday Pajamas - 12-06-2014

(12-06-2014, 01:25 PM)Idle Miscreant Wrote: If they're not remaking the scenes, they're omitting them entirely.
What is this sudden need to blot out the only male/female friendship on this show?
Is the S/A relationship that flimsy that everything else, including Sheldon's character, had to flattened and blasted in order for it to exist?
Can't the Sheldon/Penny scenes (that are arguably the most popular comedic pairing, judging by every damn episode poll) continue AS WELL? Is this not feasible? Raj and his miniscule tit of a dog have had more scenes together...

It seems to me that a lot of the new fans don't know the early seasons that well. They came in late and skimmed the past. Of course there are some hardcore canons who have been around a long time but most regular viewers couldn't care less if Penny and Leonard wound up together, they just want the show to be fun.

I think the writers only had a few ideas and they are spent. Now they are coasting on the public's affection for the characters build up over the years and the ratings and popularity is about to hit a wall. By the end of this season, and by next premier, I predict we will see a noticeable change in the fortune of this show. It's just awful now and it's a habit for a lot of viewers who will move on once they realise there's no jokes left in it. The did their best work in the Sheldon and Penny era and it will be these episodes that BB will be remembered for.